What our students will learn in Year 9
Our termly overview
|1, 3 & 5
- Students will develop their rehearsal and performance skills across three terms, each focusing on different pieces of music that increase in challenge.
- What attributes do I need for an effective and efficient rehearsal?
- What are good rehearsal ‘habits’?
- What are ‘ensemble skills’ and why are these important?
- How can we interpret and communicate musical ideas with technical control and with expression?
- How can I apply phrasing and dynamics appropriate to the style and mood of the music?
- How can I apply the elements of music in rehearsals?
- Why is it important to consider the purpose and intention of their piece of music, considering the audience, time and place of the performance?
- What are the features of ‘Remix’?
- What is are MIDI and ‘audio’, and what are the differences between them?
- What is a MIDI sample, and how can I use it?
- How can I use loops, riffs and ostinato in Remix?
- How can I add and loop a sample?
- Why are texture and layering so important in Remic music?
- Why is structure so important in Remix music?
- How can I use editing techniques to manipulate my audio/MIDI sample?
- Why is music so important in a film?
- How/why is it used?
- How and why do we use film music techniques such as leitmotifs and foley?
- What are the different approaches to creating music for film?
- How can the elements of music be used in film music?
- How can we create mood and atmosphere in a film, using music?
- What is an ‘interval’, and how/why might it be used?
Useful links to online learning resources to support the Year 9 Music Curriculum
Year 9 Film Music
Year 9 Britpop
Year 9 Remix