Southern Gas Networks have made us aware of a forthcoming upgrade to the gas network in the Rye Road (A268) area of Rye. The project involves the essential replacement of old metal gas mains with new plastic pipe to ensure SGN continue to provide a safe and reliable gas supply to the local area. SGN contractor, I&G Contractors will undertake this work on their behalf.
SGN have been working closely with East Sussex County Council and agreed to start the project on Monday, 2 March 2020. Over the coming six weeks engineers will carry out the necessary works in two phases.
Rye Road (A268) and Military Road – Approximately three weeks
- SGN plan to start work on Monday 2 March and last for approximately three weeks.
- Engineers will be working in Rye Road at its junction with the Military Road.
- For everyone’s safety SGN need to install temporary traffic lights in Rye Road, around their work area. They will manually control our traffic lights Monday to Friday, from 7am until 7pm.
- Military Road will be closed at the junction of Rye Road for everyone’s safety. A signed diversion will now be in place via Houghton Green Lane. Access will be maintained for pedestrians.
Rye Road (A268) and Bridge Place – Approximately three weeks
- Upon completion of phase one, SGN will continue upgrading the network on Rye Road, working at the junction with Fishmarket Road and Landgate.
- For everyone’s continued safety Rye Road will remain closed around our work area. A signed diversion will be in place for motorists via A259 (New Road) and B2080. Access will be maintained for pedestrians.
- SGN will also need to close Bridge Place to allow our engineers to dig and access the gas main safely.
Local small businesses which suffer a genuine loss of trade because of SGN's work may qualify for their compensation scheme.
SGN understand that people can get frustrated by roadworks. However, the new plastic pipe has a minimum lifespan of 80 years. This means that when the work is complete, Rye residents will continue to enjoy the benefits of a safe and reliable gas supply for years to come.
For more information visit: www.sgn.co.uk