Rye College Dress Code
At Rye College, we take pride in our appearance at all times and ask families to help us in ensuring that students always wear correct school uniform. We expect students to take pride in their personal appearance and in wearing their school uniform. Their clothes should be clean and smart and shoes should be polished. Attention to personal hygiene and grooming is also important.
Please note, our dress code requirements are gender-neutral.
Plain black footwear
- No white or coloured marks, signs or stripes.
- No coloured laces.
- No boots.
- No heels.
Plain black smart trousers
- No denim.
- No cords.
- No tracksuit bottoms.
- No leggings/legging style (stretchy material).
- No trousers tucked into socks.
Plain black knee length skirt or pinafore dress
- To be worn with black opaque tights or black knee-high socks.
White shirt & tie
- Long or short sleeved to be worn with a Rye College tie:
- Peacocke tie for Year 7
- Striped tie for Y8 & Y9
- Plain purple tie for Y10 & Y11
Rye College jumper (optional)
- To be worn with shirt and tie only.
- No hoodies or other types of jumpers are allowed.
Black or grey tailored, knee length shorts
- To be worn during the summer term (at Head of College's discretion).
- No sports shorts.
Black or purple polo shirt
- To be worn during the summer term (at the Head of College's discretion).
- Not to be worn with Rye College jumper.
Black blazer with Rye College badge
- Must be worn at all times.
- In warm weather, students are permitted to remove their blazers.
- For health and safety reasons, no items of jewellery (including necklaces, rings, bracelets etc) are allowed except a watch and a single stud in each ear
- Other piercings are not permitted, students will be asked to remove them.
- Colour must be natural.
- Conventional styles without fashion statements or adornments.
- Long hair must be tied back when health and safety rules apply.
- Plain headscarves in school colours may be worn for religious or cultural reasons
- Any makeup worn should be appropriate for the workplace.
- For health and safety reasons, no nail varnish or acrylic/gel nails are to be worn.
- In times of bad weather, suitable top coats should be worn
- Hats may not be worn indoors
- Red 1/4 zip jumper (optional)
- Red sports training t-shirt
- Plain black jogging bottoms/shorts
- Red socks
- Comfortable jogging bottoms or leggings (no less than 3/4 length, with no zips or toggles)
- Loose fitted t-shirt for comfort (girls may wish to wear a leotard or vest underneath), no midriff showing
- Students are required to work in barefoot for their own safety.
Rye College - Branded Uniform
Required daily essentials:
- 1 working red, blue and black pen
- 1 HB pencil
- 1 ruler (at least 15cm long)
- 1 eraser
- 1 scientific calculator (can be purchased through the College)
- 1 geometry set
- 1 reading book
Equipment for art lessons:
These items are available to be purchased cheaply through the college.
- 6B pencil
- 1 sharpener
- 1 eraser
- 1 pen in black or blue
- Sketch books (not compulsory for KS3). If students buy their own book this needs to have white pages as we will not provide white pens/pencils for a black page book and students are not able to draw on black pages.
- PVA glue, tape, coloured pens and pencils and a set of watercolour paints will be required for home learning.
Students are expected to carry bags that are suitable for holding books and equipment. Bags should be plain, dark with no obtrusive logos, slogans or patterns and be large enough to carry an A4 folder. Please note, rucksacks and backpacks are best for back health.
Please note: Electronic devices such as mobile phones, iPods, MP3 players, iPads, games consoles should be switched off during lessons. Such devices are the responsibility of the individual and brought at your own risk.
Uniform can be purchased from the high street or our uniform provider, in person or online:
Superstitch, 6-7 Castleham Road,
Castleham Industrial Estate
Tel: 01424 852225
(Location in Google maps)