In February 2017, Year 10s wishing to participate in work experience undertook a five day placement at the end of term 3. Students were encouraged to find their own placements, to help them take responsibility for their own learning. The requirement of the placement was that they must have Employer Liability Insurance. We work with Aspire to ensure that all the necessary health and safety checks are undertaken. We hope to offer this opportunity again in the near future.
Work experience has a number of benefits for the students. These include:
- Building confidence and self esteem
- Developing communication and social skills
- Helping make informed decisions with regard to Post-16 education or work
- Gaining experience to support future job or college applications
- Learning new skills
- Learning to work with adults
- Learning to follow instructions and work on initiative
- Team work and co-operation skills
In exceptional circumstances, some students also undertake an extended work experience placement as an alternative provision, and as part of a personalised timetable.