Interested in becoming a doctor?
BrightMed, run by Brighton and Sussex Medical School, identifies and supports young people who have the potential to become tomorrow’s doctors. The programme will increase your awareness of what it takes to study medicine and healthcare subjects, through fun, inspiring and interactive teaching focused on medicine, health and science. We will also give you information, advice and guidance to help you plan your future education, and if you think you might want to become a doctor, we will support you through the application process.
Is BrightMed for you?
- Have you begun to think about your future career?
- Do you have an interest in science, medicine or healthcare?
- Would you like to know more about a career in medicine?
- Have you ever wondered how doctors become doctors?
- Do you want to know what it’s like to be a medical student?
If the answer is YES to any of these questions, why not apply to join the BrightMed programme starting in Year 9!
What does BrightMed do?
BrightMed works with young people from Year 9 to Year 13. As a ‘BrightMedder’, you will take part in regular Saturday sessions that involve knowledge sessions,
activity days, lectures and seminars. There is also an opportunity for you to experience life as a student with a stay at the University of Sussex campus during a residential summer school at the end of Year 12!
BrightMedders complete a total of 21 sessions over 5 years:
- Years 9 and 10 – 5 days per year
- Year 11 – 4 days
- Year 12 – 4 days (plus 4-day residential)
- Year 13 – informal support and drop-ins for final application advice and interview practice.
- Participants are also offered support and mentoring throughout the programme via BrightMed’s Twitter and Facebook pages.
BrightMed is funded by Brighton and Sussex Medical School, so it won’t cost you or your family anything but transport to and from the medical school.
I’m interested, tell me more!
As a BrightMedder, you will join Brighton and Sussex Medical School students, lecturers and teachers in fun, interactive sessions where you will learn exactly what it is like to be a medical student and what it takes to become a doctor.
BrightMed will show you how competitive becoming a doctor can be and arm you with all the right information to make sure you know what to do if you want to become one. We’ll encourage and motivate you to keep working hard at school and to get involved with extra-curricular activities.
You’ll find out what makes a good medical student and practise some skills to use in your studies at school and when you get to university. You will receive guidance and support on how to make a confident application to study medicine.
What do I have to do?
BrightMed looks for students who will commit to the entire programme. Commitment to BrightMed will be demonstrated in a number of ways, including:
- attendance – you will be expected to attend a majority of activities (most activities will take place on Saturdays and during school holidays)
- success at school – for example, your GCSE results
- being an active BrightMed student – taking part in activities, interacting with other participants and BrightMed staff, and completing any tasks that may be set.
If you would like to take part in BrightMed, please download the flyer and show it to a parent or carer. Applications are open until Friday 12 July 2019. For more info and to apply online please visit bsms.ac.uk/brightmed.
Please note, places are limited and priority will be given to those who meet certain criteria. If you are no longer in Year 8, and would like to take part, we welcome your application.
Important information for 2019/20:
- Saturday sessions typically run from 10am – 3:00pm but may occasionally overrun.
- Food is not provided on Saturday sessions.
- BrightMed Launch Day will be Saturday 14 September 2019 and Catch Up Day for Year 10, 11 & 12 on 21 September 2019.
If you have any questions about the BrightMed programme, please get in touch:
Widening Participation, Outreach
and Recruitment Officer
Brighton and Sussex Medical School
University of Sussex
Falmer, Brighton BN1 9PX
T: 01273 641841
Twitter: @BrightMed Facebook: BrightMed at BSMS